Monday, April 25

Mmmmm Monday....

It’s Monday. Blue Monday, Black Monday, whatever you call it, it generally evokes the same kind of feeling from all working people. Monday = Work. Unless of course, you so love your work, then Monday will not be a big problem to you. I used to dread Monday. Well, I still do but not as much. New dept = stress free.

Me? Mean?
I had a blast this weekend. Had to work on Saturday. The office was busy, as we had to rearrange our furniture. The office was getting too cluttered. It’s true. First time I got here, I nearly cried out loud as the office didn’t look much like an office. Looked more like one of those staff rooms for teachers in a primary school. All cluttered and haywire with file cabinets placed haphazardly in the middle of the room. Yep, you read right, right smack in the middle of the room. So after work, hubby and I went to his parents’ house. He was to break his fast there. So we stayed there till dinner. All ten of us went for dinner (courtesy of papa and mama). Papa and mama, hubby and I, anick and mesir, nurin and fahmi, dalila and ilyana. It was a lot of fun. I couldn’t stop laughing and giggling throughout the night. Hmmm, could it be the flu tablets and cough medicine I took that made me deliriously happy? I was really on a high….

After dinner we just talked and laughed some more. Then we played a card game called Arne or something…. That was extremely enjoyable as it was game that brought out your mean side as you try to collect points for yourself, while at the same time, bring down the other players. Loads of fun, as we played till about 1 in the morning. And so it was decided that we sleepover at papa’s house. We didn’t bring any clothes with us (nor our toothbrushes for that matter), but that didn’t stop us….

To give and to receive
On Sunday, we went to Ikea. Straight from papa’s house (with the same clothes as Saturday, mind you) and we had some ideas on how to design the interior of our new home. We were to get a wedding gift for one of hubby’s friends. I feel that this is one of the best places to get a wedding gift for couples. I mean, if we look at our Malaysian wedding scenario, we have this tendency to give electrical appliances. Undeniably, all just-married couples do need all these appliances to start their new home, but seriously, 5 toasters? 3 rice-cookers? 21 sets of drinking glasses? What would be better is to give other items that are not so run-of-the-mill. I know that it’s the sincerity of the gift-giver that matters, and it’s the thought that counts, but come on folks, put in some effort in your ‘thoughts’! As we are not accustomed to using the services of a bridal registry, we should really think what to get newlyweds. I remember getting 3 or 4 irons from well-meaning friends and relatives. I also remember giving them away, and keeping only one. I have 3 identical tea sets which are still in their boxes, waiting their turn to be used. So what should we give then? Thinking back, some of the really useful gifts that we received include table lamps (good for everywhere in the house), bed sheets / duvets (more than 1 is always welcomed), and gift certificates (very good since we got to choose what we really needed). What we got on Sunday was a floor lamp from Ikea. Hope the couple will find that useful....


No comments: