Tuesday, June 14

Debbie, Corey Haim and Me

Last Sunday, I saw a DVD lying around in my parents-in-law’s house which immediately brought back bittersweet memories. The movie in question? Sixteen Candles. I believe it was a John Hughes movie (is that right hubby?) starring Molly Ringwald. This movie transported me back to the days when I was in Form 4, way back in 92.

Debbie, my classmate, introduced this movie to me. I’ll always remember Debbie. She was this very intelligent girl who sat in front of me in class. We took the same bus to and from school. Debbie was good with figures. Maths and Accounts were simple puzzles to her. She excelled in History, and was talented in drawing and painting. Debbie knew that she wanted to be a fashion designer, so she took up French. After SPM Debbie enrolled in a fashion school in KL. Alas, Debbie didn’t get to fulfil her dreams. She passed away at the age of 19, about 10 years ago.

Debbie will always be in my memories. It was with her that I discussed movies and tv and designers and books. She got me started on John Grisham when she lent me her book, The Client. We shared opinions on Versace, Galliano, and Moschino (one of her favourites). We criticised Tiffany and Debbie Gibson. We chatted about Molly Ringwald, the brothers Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez, siblings Jason and Justine Bateman, Kirk and Candace Cameron, and counted ways why Corey Haim was way better than Corey Feldman. Corey Haim, yeah he’s Debbie’s dream guy. She used to write to him too. The names would surely sound foreign now, unless you’re an 80s kid. Man, Debbie and I sure had lots of fun back then.

I miss my friend.

No comments: