Monday, August 8

UM: Bistro Baby

It’s Monday. Back to work. In the Cyberjaya haze. The campus is alive again, abuzz with the comings and goings of students. I look at the students, and I remember my campus days of yore. Yes I’m ancient. I was in UM from 94 – 99. That time, our matriculation was 2 years long! By the time I graduated, I felt like it had been forever since I walked down those corridors. What fun times we had.

I remember my asasi days in this building called Ambang Asuhan Jepun. All matric students had their classes there. The place was called such as it was (I believe) donated by the government of Japan. I loved that place with its many steps and identical layout. It was normal for first year students to get lost or end up spending 5 minutes looking for their classes.

The nearest eatery was this really small place in one end of the building that was adjacent to the AAJ. I forgot its name. This was where all asasi students went to eat. Those who had motorcycles could simply go back to the residential colleges to eat, but to those who didn’t stay at these colleges, the canteen would just have to do. It was just a little corner with about four or five long tables and benches. Really like a school canteen. The canteen didn’t have a name. My friend and I actually asked the proprietor what the name was, and he said it didn’t have any name. So we both told him that we were gonna call it The Bistro. He just smiled and shook his head. “Whatever,” he said. So all my friends referred to the place as The Bistro and that’s how the name stuck. It went for a few years because our juniors also called it The Bistro. But I don’t know how long The Bistro existed, or if the eatery is still there. That was about 10 years ago, so who knows?

More on my days in UM, soon….

No comments: